Not the most attractive picture but I love this dinner. The blog, Dinner A Love Story cleverly named it Thighs and Fries, although as you can see, I usually make it with whole legs. Bone-in thighs can be hard to find since we all love our boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Serve something green with this if you must, but do try it.
Thighs and Fries, adapted from Dinner, A Love Story
- 3 russet potatoes
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 2 T. parmesan cheese
- 1 t. garlic salt (I sometimes use Penzey’s Sandwich Sprinkle)
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 t. water (according to the original recipe, the water helps to make the fries crisp and fluffy)
- 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs or 3 whole legs, separated
- salt and pepper
- vegetable or grapeseed oil (grapeseed oil is good for high heat – this picture was taken before I discovered grapeseed oil. Last time I made this dish – with grapeseed oil – the chicken was browner.)
1) Preheat oven to 475.
2) Cut your potatoes into wedges. I cut the potato into quarters, lengthwise, and cut each quarter into 3 wedges, so I get 12 wedges from 3 potatoes.
3) Combine all other ingredients for potatoes in a bowl. Add the potatoes and toss, coating the potatoes well.
4) Put the wedges on a foil-lined pan (I use non-stick foil, which is one of my favorite things in the world.) I put the wedges skin-side down, point-side up, but I don’t know that it matters that much.
5) Bake until brown, about 40 minutes or so. (the original recipe says 25 minutes, but my fries are never close to done in 25 minutes.) Just keep them in until they are brown and a little crispy. I usually take them out the same time I’m taking out the chicken.
6) When the fries are in the oven, start the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
7) Heat an oven-proof skillet until it’s very hot. Add a little oil, and then add the chicken, skin-side down. Cook on high heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium high and cook for 12 minutes, moving the chicken pieces around a little from time to time to make sure they are not sticking to the pan.
8) Transfer skillet to the oven and cook for 13 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces and cook 5 more minutes, until skin gets crispy.