It was raining today. A good day to stay indoors with a good book, hot chocolate, and a snack. I wanted homemade caramel corn, which is strange because I’ve never made caramel corn before. But I had a nasty headache. I turned to my almost 14-year old daughter, a budding chef and foodie, who was up to the task.
- Popcorn (1/2 cup kernels)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. light corn syrup
- 1 stick butter
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2) Pop popcorn. We have an air popper, which normally makes tasteless popcorn but is great for this purpose because it’s easy and neat.
3) Combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter (cut into chunks) and microwave on medium low until the butter melts, stirring from time to time. My daughter did 30 seconds, stirred, then 2 1/2 minutes, stirred, then 1 minute and stirred.
4) Add vanilla, baking soda, and cinnamon. The mixture will get foamy.
5) Stir and pour over popcorn. My daughter said to use your hands. Make sure popcorn is evenly coated.
6) Spread popcorn onto a baking sheet lined with non-stick foil. (Note: the Good Enough Gourmet LOVES non-stick foil.)
7) Bake for 12 minutes.
8) Let cool for about 15 minutes. The longer you let it cool, the crunchier the popcorn will get. Break up and put into a bowl. I wanted to eat it straight off the baking pan, but my daughter thought that was uncouth.