Sometimes you need a slow cooker recipe. Like last week, when I had to get my daughter to a rehearsal by 7:00, but had to work and had no time to cook dinner. How nice to throw the ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning and have dinner ready when I got home from work.
- 1 lb. black beans (real, actual beans, not canned)
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I used tomatoes with diced chiles)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. allspice (I didn’t have any, so I used 1/4 t. cloves)
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 t. chipotle chile powder (I’m sure you can use regular chile powder if that’s what you have on hand)
- 1 orange (I used about 1/3 to 1/2 c. orange juice)
- 1 lime
- 4 c. vegetable or chicken broth
- lemon (optional)
1) The night before, soak the black beans. Sorry. It requires forethought and it’s an extra step, but only takes a few seconds. Put them in a big bowl, cover them with water, and let them sit overnight.
2) Drain beans and put into slow cooker. Chop onion, pepper, and garlic and add to slow cooker. Add all other ingredients except the lemon and stir.
3) Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
4) When finished cooking, blend with an immersion blender to desired consistency. I like mine mostly smooth, but with a few chunks. If needed, add a little more liquid. (Mine always needs more liquid, but my slow cooker does not seal well.)
5) Add a squeeze of lemon if you’d like. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Also, my daughter added grated cheese to hers and loved it.