Summer is over, but I’m still making salads. Sometimes you just don’t want to cook.
I’ve made Greek salads many times before, but only as a side dish. I discovered that the simple addition of garbanzo beans makes it hearty enough for a main dish. Add some pita chips and you’ve got a great, simple meal.
- olive oil
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 container cherry tomatoes
- 4 small, Persian cucumbers
- 1 shallot
- Greek olives
- feta cheese
1) In a large salad bowl, add sliced cucumbers (I cut them lengthwise, then put them on their flat side and slice), cherry tomatoes (halved), garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained), olives (I usually cut them in half), shallot (thinly sliced), and feta.
2) In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine juice of one lemon, oregano, salt, and pepper (sometimes I add lemon pepper, to gild the lily). Add some olive oil and whisk. How much olive oil? Start with a little, whisk, taste, add a little more, and when it tastes right, stop.
3) Add dressing to salad and toss.