This is a simple chili recipe. Feel free to make substitutions — regular chili powder for the chipotle (but use a little more of it), add other vegetables such as red peppers or corn, or different types of beans.
4 cloves garlic
1 1/2 t. cumin
1 t. chipotle chili powder
1 t. oregano
salt and pepper
tomato paste (about 1/2 can, or a couple large squirts if you use a tube)
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
2 c. water
cheese for serving (optional)
1) Chop the onion and garlic. Add a little olive oil to a hot pan (I use my beloved dutch oven) and cook the onion and garlic until softened.
2) Add the cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for about a minute.
3) Add the zucchini and tomato paste and cook for a few minutes.
4) Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans, diced tomatoes, and water.
5) Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
6) Top with shredded cheese (sharp cheddar or pepper-jack would be good) if desired.